11 August 2006

No Liquids?

U.S. posts code-red alert; bans liquids

Gee, thanks. Good thing I didn't go out and buy a few rare bottles of shochu to bring home and share with friends and family, so they can see what I've been talking about.

Oh, wait. I did. Screw it -- I'm shipping this stuff home. There's no way I'm tossing it out. Since I'll be shipping, I'll pick up a few extra bottles of other unusual shochu, so I can have more to look forward to.

Insured airmail, here I come.

What I don't get is how this is going to stop anyone from blowing anything up. If you really want to get liquids aboard a plane, fill a water baloon or other plastic bladder up, insert into rectum, and go.

Oops -- now we all get to enjoy body cavity searches. Hospital gowns for EVERYONE!

Except first class. You can wear bathrobes.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shochu imo. Yum!

11 August, 2006 20:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Planning on shipping alcohol? Think again...

UPS: "You may not import distilled liquors (for example, whiskey, rum, or vodka) into the U.S. These shipments will be refused entry and returned to the country of export. Refused shipments may be subject to a US$75.00 manipulation charge."

FedEx: "Only properly licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers or licensed importers may ship wine via FedEx services. Consumers may not ship wine or alcohol of any type via FedEx services."

EMS: "Nonmailable Articles: [...] Alcoholic beverages"

Considering customs opened a FedEx LETTER envelope I got today, I doubt you'd get anything past them. Remember, though, the liquids ban only applies to carry-ons. But then again, you're only even allowed to bring back a certain amount with you IN PERSON, too, w/o having to pay a bunch of customs fees on it...

12 August, 2006 00:30  
Blogger Dehn said...

Okay, this is NOT sounding like happy. What in the hell am I supposed to do? I guess I'll call the airline on Monday and see what they say.

If I remember, you can bring two 750ml bottles of spirits into the U.S. without having to worry about customs fees. I'd be willing to pay customs duty on couple extra bottles, just to get them home. A bottle that here in Japan goes for 750 yen runs about triple that in the states, and I don't think you can find some of the really good stuff in the U.S.

12 August, 2006 00:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerry to guy next to him on plane: "Good thing it's a Rob Schneider movie on this flight. I have a mini shampoo bottle full of nitroglycerine in my ass."

13 August, 2006 00:39  
Blogger Dehn said...

If you have the bottle up there, you're going to have to find a way to get your iPod detonator up there, too. Ow.

13 August, 2006 18:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home