23 July 2006

Rain, Rain, Get the F--- Out

Heavy rain sweeps southern Japan, 4 dead
4 die due to heavy rain in Kagoshima Pref., death toll rises to 24

It's been raining here since something like Tuesday, and it really started coming down heavy on Friday (or was it Thursday?), all the way through Saturday night. In total, the news says, we've had about 120 centimeters of rain... which is just a hair under four feet. Four feet of rain in less than a week. I think that's more than a year's worth of rain for most anywhere in Southern California... in about five days. The north half of my town got hit pretty hard. If my camera were working, I'd try to go get some pictures to post.

I just watched a train go by and it looked like there were mud splashes on the sides of the first few cars.

Oh, yeah -- my camera has earned a boatload of wrath. I had pictures on there from a visit to a shochu distillery, as well as pictures from my farewell party and pictures of the river ready to flood its banks... and when I hooked the camera up to my computer, they both inform me that the memory card is EMPTY. What the hell?

Any good camera recommendations out there?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before you do ANYTHING else w/ your memory card, stick it in a card reader and run an undelete/recovery utility on it. You might recover some of the pictures you think were lost.

23 July, 2006 21:00  
Blogger Dehn said...

Yep; I'm one step behind you, sorta. I took one picture with it while I was scratching my head going "what the hell?" When it took a picture of my drapes just fine, I realized that if I took any more it would reduce my chances of recovering anything. I'll talk to a friend tomorrow about borrowing a card reader. Is it common for memory cards (CF in this case) to go bad after so many months or years?

Either way, this camera is on its way out. I never really liked it to begin with, and this is a good excuse to get rid of it.

24 July, 2006 01:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno- I've had my 1G Superdrive for almost 5 years now, and the only thing I've ever had happen was 1 picture that somehow got corrupted (half of it came out ok, the other half was a big purple block).

But as for new cameras, Canons are good... esp. their DSLRs... ^^; if you're looking for something not quite so huge & expensive, though, the digital elph line's pretty good (that's what Maya's got).

24 July, 2006 04:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops- that's Microdrive, not Superdrive

24 July, 2006 04:39  
Blogger Dehn said...

I'm almost decided, and am leaning toward a Canon S2iS. Huge 12x optical zoom, SD memory (which my computer has a built-in reader for), plenty of pixels for pictoral goodness... comes in right at $300. The price doesn't change much between buying in Japan or buying in the U.S., so I might just get it here to use for my last couple weeks.

08 August, 2006 14:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home