08 June 2008

Let's Try This One More Time...

It's been forever and a few months since my last writing from Kagoshima, and time for me to get back on this writing pony.

I'm now in Tokyo, after a 16 month stint back in California. I came over in February to look for work -- with little more than a few contacts, a couple suits, and a vague idea of how to manage this "looking for work in a foreign country" gig. Finding work took about two months, and getting the working papers/visa took another month and change, but here I am. My first day at the new job starts in about 30 hours.

I looked at cell phones this afternoon. Now that I have a job and a working visa, it's time to settle in -- and a cell phone is pretty much the first step. For as long as I've been interested in Japan, and as long as there have been cell phones, Japan has been about two years ahead of the US as far as cell phone technology has been concerned... but something seems amiss. While I don't think I'd run out and buy one even if they were available, Japan doesn't yet have the iPhone. I also didn't see any Blackberries. They still have all sorts of kick-ass phones, but these are two pretty glaring omissions in the cell phone set. Apple recently reached an arrangement with a Japanese cell provider (hello, Soft Bank!) to bring the iPhone to Japan, and I'm sure that Blackberries are here somewhere.

I guess the point I'm working toward is that either A) the US is catching up to Japan on the cell phone technology front (maybe they're falling behind?), or B) I'm getting old and am losing touch with what's impressive on the technology end of cell phones. I don't know which of those two options I would prefer. I'm afraid the answer is 'B', which means I need to buckle down and get back into the swing of things.

I think I know which phone I want. Once I have a phone, I'll be able to easily upload pictures and comments from my Tokyo (and extra-Tokyo) travels.

Ah... it's good to be back. Sorry I was gone for so long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home