07 October 2005

A Short Equation

In Japan, there are urban areas, suburban areas, rural towns, and tiny villages. This is just a guess, but I may have found a simple equation you can use to determine the classification of your environs.

If there are no tanbo (rice paddies), you're in an urban area.

If there are more buildings than tanbo, you're in a suburban area.

More tanbo than buildings? You're rural.

More tanbo than people? Tiny village.

I welcome comments, input, or amendments to this equation -- just use the "post a comment" link below.

Oh; I'm headed for Tokunoshima (Tokuno Island) this weekend, so I hope to have a few good posts out of that. I'll even try SCUBA diving while I'm there. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just spent last week in Kobe. My husband calls it a country town!
If that's a country town what is Yokogawa???
Hope you had a nice time on that island. I have yet to go to any of the islands included in Kagoshima prefecture, but we're planning on visiting Amami Oshima next year...

Have a good weekend (^-^)/

08 October, 2005 19:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry I didn't give my name before, I'm the person who saw you at Kurino Iki Iki centa-!

I have been going around to local shops to put up my ad in the hope of luring more students so you might see my mug shot around the place!

12 October, 2005 11:16  
Blogger Dehn said...

Actually, Andrew is a friend who lives in Yokogawa. I'm sure you've seen him there. He's the white guy.
(^-^)

Amami looks like a beautiful place. Two friends teach English there, and they love the island life.

Oh... and if Kobe is a country town, then Yokogawa is three mice living in a paper cup... so your husband must be crazy. (^O^)

Hope to see you soon!

12 October, 2005 12:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home