12 September 2005

Mountains, Steam, Spas, and Chicken

A view of Kurino-dake, or Mt. Kurino, which towers over the southeast end of the valley. The lighter spot in the middle of the picture is steam from one of the many volcanic vents up there. This one in particular is usually visible on clear days when the temperature and humidity are right.

There is a pretty well-known onsen (spa/hot spring) up there, and I think it's not far from that vent Kurino-dake Onsen offers an amusingly-named chicken dish: Niwatori no Jigoku-mushi, or "Hell-steamed chicken". Yes, that's chicken steamed with authentic steam straight from hell... or so they say. It's supposed to be pretty good; the novelty alone is enough to make me want to try it. I understand reservations are required if you want the chicken. I guess hellsteam steams chickens slowly.

In other news, we managed to weather the typhoon pretty well. My end of town, the south end, didn't have any real damage, but the north end of town had some flooding. I haven't had a chance to get up there, but the day of the typhoon, my coworkers were running in and out, responding to one thing or another, usually on that end of town. I was amused by the fact that it wasn't too dangerous to come to work, but nobody wanted you to go outside for lunch because of the hazard. Now, to be fair, the storm really started to peak about 10:00 in the morning, and went full-bore until about 3:00 in the afternoon. By quitting time, the weather was just like any other moderate rainfall. Hurricanes and the like are weird.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Interesting to read a blog written by someone who lives near me!
I really recommend that chicken by the way!! I love that onsen.
Last week I was at the Kurino Iki-Iki centa- and there was a camera crew about to film something... I noticed a foreigner there but didn't get a chance to say hi. Do you know what that was all about? 

16 September, 2005 15:16  
Blogger Dehn said...

(O.o)
That was me, actually. Wow.

They were working on a promotional spot or CM for Yusui town. They asked me to provide a few words in English for part of the video. Next time you see me, be sure to say "hey!"

16 September, 2005 15:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow ! fancy that!
I live in Yokogawa but often go to Kurino to go to the gym or supermarket so we'll no doubt bump into each other one day!

16 September, 2005 15:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home