05 September 2005

It's Going to Get Wet


Typhoon #14 (also known as "Typhoon Nabi") is coming almost straight for us here in Kagoshima. It's expected to hit land sometime tonight or Tuesday, and will roll right over us before moving on past Hiroshima, continuing to the Sea of Japan and that side of things. According to this nifty Navy graphic (clicky go biggy) and other websites I've checked out, it should be a category two typhoon once it hits land, carrying winds around 96-110 miles per hour (83-95 knots; 154-177 km/hr). If it does hit tonight, it's going to be a long, long night. Typhoon winds make a lot of noise and make it hard to sleep.


Edit/Update
Just found out that tomorrow will be a normal work day. My first hurricane and I can't stay home and drink cocoa, play with legos, and listen to the wind?

It's true. God is dead, and there is no justice in the world. Well, at least all my appointments for tomorrow have been postponed so I can try to get some work done in preparation for the weeks to come.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you God hates Kyushu. Get used to it. BTW, my brother-in-law was just visiting from Kagoshima before the start of the school year. I told him about where you are, Yusui cho, and he said, "Where?"

05 September, 2005 23:46  
Blogger Dehn said...

That makes sense. Most of the people I talk to down here don't really know where Yusui is. As you probably know, most of the municipal mergers that happen usually take an existing name, either from one of the participating towns/cities, or from the region. In the case of Yusui, neither town really stood out enough to become the namesake, so they went with a local thing -- 丸池湧水 (maru-ike yusui), a somewhat well known bubbling natural spring and accompanying pond. I guess "round pond bubbling water" is too generic to stand out for anyone. If you mention Kurino-cho or Yoshimatsu-cho, he might know where I am. If that doesn't work, I'm about 50 minutes northwest of Kirishima-cho.

If he doesn't know Kirishima, your brother-in-law probably isn't really from Kagoshima. ;-)

06 September, 2005 08:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home