12 January 2006

A Week for Food and Cooking

Maybe it's something in the air, but this week seems to be all about food and cooking. Of course the fact that I'm hungry right now might have something to do with that.

The baker said he can make the buns for me. They're probably going to be closer to dinner rolls, with a slightly chewier texture, but I don't have time to shoot for more than that. When I have time later in the month I'll try to make some from scratch. Why does baking bread have to seem so complicated? Maybe it's just me.

I decided yesterday morning that I was going to make refried beans last night, and then found that I was looking forward to those beans all day. All day. Is that a sign of domestication, when you start looking forward to cooking? The house sure smelled good, though - the beans simmering with various spices, then frying up a little bacon with garlic and onion as a base for the mashing of the legumes.

I just realized something. Talking about food when you're hungry and can't eat is what I think we should call "a bad idea." I better get back to work and not think about food until 12:00.

One last thought - beginning with a little writing seems like a good way to start the day. I'll try to keep this up. (Hah!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry,
It's Chris. Check out www.thefreshloaf.com

It's run by a friend of mine. I've been doing alot of baking lately.

14 February, 2006 15:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home