11 January 2006

Big Black Apron, or "I Need Something to Say"


Big Black Apron
Originally uploaded by gogakuhei.
I felt like writing for a minute this morning, and decided for some reason that I'd tell you about my apron. I got a nifty black denim Williams-Sonoma apron for when I'm cooking. I'm guessing it's black denim so I can maintain some degree of masculinity while cooking with an apron... or something like that. It'll be nice to keep my clothes covered, and the pockets on the front will be handy for all those little things you wish you had when mixing it up in the land of forks and spoons.

I have another cooking class next week. The plan is to go with hamburgers, deviled eggs, and baked macaroni and cheese. Once I started looking up recipes, I came to a somewhat surprising realization:

There's more than one way to cook mashed cow.

I expected there to be several different ways to cook macaroni and cheese ("over 100" according to allrecipes.com), and maybe a few ways to cook deviled eggs (20-30 as far as I can see), but I never really gave hamburgers much thought. Take cow. Take apart cow. Mash cow parts. Make like Play-Doh with cow mash. Apply fire liberally... right?

Well, I'm seeing at least 100 ways to cook hamburgers here, and at one point I thought I saw over 150. The recipes range from what now seems mundane - mix a few spices in - to the realm of "Huh?" Try "Chinese-Style Cheeseburgers" with cheddar, chinese mustard, soy sauce, and water chestnuts all mixed in. Maybe you can go with Cola Burgers, or Garlic Curry Burgers, or Jalapeno-Blue Cheese Burgers.

I think my two favorite names have got to be "Good Burger" and "Mad Cow Hamburger".

Okay; back to work. I need to figure out which of these I'm going to teach next week.

That reminds me of the one problem I think I'm going to have with this cooking class: Where can I get hamburger buns? I need to take a trip to a local baker today and see if he can make them for me. If not, I'm not sure what my other options are. I guess I could always go the homemade route...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also "owls", which my grandma used to make & are pretty damn good. Mix burger & spices (just onion salt & maybe pepper is fine) w/ raw egg, spread mixture on bun halves & stick 'em in the broiler 'til they're done. Serve as is, open-faced, w/ ketchup & other normal toppings (tomato, onion, etc).

12 January, 2006 01:02  
Blogger Dehn said...

That does sound good. I think I have a broiler tucked into my stove (provided it works), so I'll have to give this a shot. When you spread the mixture on the bun, how thick should it be so that it gets cooked properly?

12 January, 2006 09:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back, Martha Stewart!

16 January, 2006 17:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home