10 January 2006

Happy Belated New Year

Wow. Close my eyes for a moment and December just waltzes on by. Damn you, December. Think you're all sneaky and stuff. Ah, well.

It was a busy month, December. A handful of school visits, two trips to a nursery school, three weeks back in California... (insert cliche "now I need a vacation from vacation") but it was all fun.

While in California I did a lot of shopping and visiting and eating and drinking. The trip I took down to Monterey was nice; I got to visit the Japanese department at DLI and give a talk. It was half show and tell, discussing my Japan- and Japanese-related experiences post-DLI, and half Q&A on everything from life in Japan to study tips. They had some good questions about translation and interpretation which I was happy to pass along. Most of them will wind up dealing with interpretation or translation issues in short order. The introduction to translation and interpretation they get is a good and solid one, but it's good to hear actual anecdotes. It makes it more real. (Well, it makes it more entertaining, at least.)

I wrote up a stack of (mental) notes with New Year resolutions. I need to go through, prioritize, and get to work on them. I'd talk about them in detail, but that would only lead to embarassment and dissapointment. I'd rather tell about them after something has actually happened. It's more fun (for me) that way.

Anyway, it's still during the work day. I just wanted to make a dent in this silence. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home